Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Quiet Time - Requirements For A Quiet Time



  • The Bible - Every day, when you open your Bible, ask God to give you understanding and a willingness to obey His Word. On the margin of your Bible, record nuggets of truth that God gives you. Jot down things that you would like to remember and reflect upon in the future days.

Psa 119:18 "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."

Psa 119:10 "With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments."

Psa 1:1-2 "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."

John 14:15,23-24 "15If ye love me, keep my commandments. 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me."




  • A Quiet Place -This may be difficult for some people, but where there’s a will, there is a way. Jesus did it. You, too, can find a place with no distractions to be alone with God.

Mark 1:35 “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.”

Mat 6:6-8But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."





  • A Definite Time - Set a specific time and try to adhere to your daily schedule.

Psa 5:3 “My [David] voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O’ LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.”

Dan 6:10 “Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.”

Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.”





  • Proper Attitude - God looks on the heart.

Isa 29:13 “Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men.”

1 Sam 16:7b “... for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

2 Cor 10:5 says, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”

Phil 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”




  • The person of God must keep his/her mind on God during the personal devotional time. The proper attitude may be determined by these three factors.

  • The Physical Factor - Do not keep late hours at night and expect to be fresh to meet God in the morning. Your life must be disciplined if you want to get the maximum blessing from your time of devotions.

I Cor 9:27 “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection.”


  • The Moral Factor - This verse emphasizes the need for holiness.

Psa 66:18 “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.”


  • The Spiritual Factor - The spiritual factor stresses the need for obedience. God conditioned the revelation of truth on obedience. As I obey, God reveals; as I disobey, God ceases to reveal.

John 7:17If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether I speak of myself.”


No comments:

Post a Comment